two takes on every topic

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Negative Campaign Ads

This year's election has been downright dirty. Whether candidates are running for Governor, Mayor, Attorney General, the Senate, the House, or any other open offices, they have certainly utilized the media to air their opponent's dirty laundry. Instead of using campaign ads as a forum to summarize the plans of the candidate, the ads are used to outline the negatives of their opponent. And no subject is taboo. Sex, drugs, indiscretions of family members, skin color and so much more are fodder for the opponent.

As a voter, when I see the commercials, I get angry. Yet again, politicians neglect to inform me of how they will be different. Candidates fail to explain what they hope to do while in office or their general philosophy for decision making. When I see negative campaign ads, it makes me wonder if this is a person for whom I want to vote.

If you get The Economist, check out "Negative Campaigning-Attacks ads in America" from October 5th

The Washington Post also has an interesting article

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home